Friday, January 18, 2013

Gluten free day 1...

So, I've been in pain most of my life.  Sometimes my skin hurts for no reason, I'm almost ALWAYS tight in the shoulders despite going to massage therapy on a semi regular basis.  My joints are always popping and cracking and I can't scratch my own back without hurting my ribs from pushing "too hard" on them (and that happens on other places on my body too).

A few months ago, after researching on my own and reading the same word over and over again...Fibromyalgia, I went to the Dr. about all of this because I started realizing after so many years of feeling this way, I probably shouldn't be feeling this way.  And he agreed, and checked my tender points and sure enough they were, well, tender.  He said he couldn't diagnose me just from that but that it was something we should look into.  I had some blood work to rule out lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, hyperthyroidism, diabetes and a bunch of other stuff...and thankfully, I don't have any of those hard to treat illnesses.  So, now, I have a rheumatologist appointment at the end of March to get further testing.

In the meantime, I've been researching.  And researching and researching and researching.  Other than medication, I wanted to know what I could do to help myself feel better.  So far I've found this.

Exercise.  Even though I'm constantly tired and in pain, some days worse than others (like yesterday...yesterday sucked)...exercise is an important part of helping ease your pain.  So I joined the Y again and have been going to aquafit at least three times a week (aside from this last week because Marryn was sick so we stayed home....which could be why yesterday sucked so bad).  If I can't go to aquafit for whatever reason I'm on the treadmill or dancing at rehearsals for Oliver.

Eliminating certain food from your diet....the main one being wheat and/or gluten.  I've already been counting calories since New Years and had been thinking about going gluten free to help with my resolution of losing 50lbs in a year (I'm down 10lbs and 3 inches in my hips since September when I started semi counting calories!) so after yesterdays horrible, no good, very bad day...I decided to do it.  I went to the bulk barn and bought some alternative flours and bread mixes so that I can continue to enjoy things I love (like sandwiches...I LOVE sandwiches) and last night I had my last piece of wheat bread.

I know it's going to be hard...I'm going to hate it at times until I get used to it...but I need to see if this will help me at all.  I have a feeling it will and this will be the start of a new lifestyle for me.

I plan to blog on how things are going as well because I know it won't all be easy and I will need to vent on how much I want to eat a loaf of bread lol...

So, day 1.  Obviously, not noticing anything different yet lol...but we'll see how I feel tomorrow.  :)

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment